Hello, dear readers! Before I start this post, I’m just curious – how many of you are still under 20? If you are older than that – don’t worry, you might still make your life more exciting by crossing out few more things of this list that you have not done yet. I am turning twenty at the end of this year and started wondering, if there is something out there that I should have experienced but probably haven’t yet. It is so easy to get caught up in a never-ending routine and forget do things that you truly enjoy doing. So, without any further hesitation, here is a list of 20 things you should do before you turn 20, in order to make your life a little more colourful.
P.S. Just to make this a little more interesting, I will add little checkmarks beside every thing that I have done so far. Join me, if you wish!
- Have your first kiss. ✓
- Start a journal (an art journal, travel journal, morning pages – anything that floats your boat). ✓ (I have an art journal and writing journal where I practice writing everything that’s on my mind in English.)
- Learn to cook at least 3 healthy and delicious meals. Living on your own is way easier, if your only menu options are not just few different kinds of pizza that you bought at the nearest supermarket. ✓ (Here are my favourites that I can cook anytime I want: tomato soup, pancakes with mushroom filling, risotto, greek salad, potato puree etc.)
- Do a random act of kindness. Buy someone flowers for no reason, bake them cookies or do any other nice thing to someone. (Here’s the first thing on the list that I haven’t done yet. I still have time for that, though.)
- Clean your closet from all the clothes that don’t fit, are worn-out, make you look bad or don’t suit your style anymore. It is time to get rid of those ugly jeans you have not worn since 9th grade but still miraculously hope to look good it. It will not happen, just buy new ones. ✓ (The best feeling in the world is when you open your closet and every piece of clothing fits you, looks brand new and flatters your figure.)
- Go to a concert of a musician you really like. ✓ (No, the one your mum made you to attend does not count. This time it is about what YOU like. My first concert of that kind was One Republic concert a little more than 3 years ago.)
- Make a day free, so you can treat yourself by doing whatever makes you happy. ✓ (For me such day could include applying a face mask, painting my nails, reading for an hour in bed, baking pizza and watching a movie (or few).)
- Go skinny dipping. (Damn, this has been on my list for way too long. If I will not chicken out, might cross this out sometime in summer.)
- Get a job, even it is just a summer job. This is a very unique experience and, honestly, the earlier you try it, the better. ✓ (Once you experience that lovely moment when you receive your first salary, you will never want to go back.)
- Spend a day without internet. No need to freak out – it is really not that bad. You can just enjoy reading a book, dancing in your living room or whatever your favorite activity is and stop worrying about how many followers you have on Instagram, compared to your friends. ✓ (I have done this so many times. It feels so good that sometimes I want to delete all of my social media and just live my life. However, I can’t do that, I have this precious blog.)
- Travel abroad, even if it’s only to your neighbour country. ✓ (Nothing feels as good as seeing new places and trying new foods, trust me.)
- Throw a house party at your place. Just try not to make it like real life version of “Project X”. ✓ (Once in my entire life I actually had a decent party with 10+ people at my place. Even though such parties are not really my thing, it was fun to try it out.)
- Try to live as a vegetarian or vegan for a week. ✓ (I’ve tried it several years ago for a month. Then, since the beginning of this year, I decided to become a vegetarian on a long-term, instead of just trying it.)
- Dye your hair in an unusual colour. ✓ If you are afraid to try permanent colour, try the one that washes out in a week or two. (I’ve dyed my hair in crazy colours twice – once partially purple, once partially green.
- Write a letter for your future self. If you are still 19 years old like me, write a letter for your 29 years old version.
- Get a tattoo. ✓ (I was obsessed with this idea since the age of 12 or so. 6 years later I finally got my first tattoo – a phoenix – and that was one of the best decisions I have ever made. If you want to read more about it, click here.)
- Dare to do something you are afraid of. Is it going to uni abroad? Maybe reconnecting with an old friend? Getting a piercing? No matter what it is, just do it. ✓ (I admit that I was a little afraid to get a tattoo and very afraid of speaking up in class but I faced these fears and I am proud that I did.)
- Let go of toxic friendships and relationships. It does not matter, how good someone treated you way back in the past. If this person makes you unhappy and talking things out have not helped, move on (even that is not easy at all). ✓
- Learn to play a musical instrument. You don’t have to become a complete professional, learning how to play your favorite song on the piano might be just enough. ✓ (It’s no secret that I basically grew up with a guitar in my hands. I can play way more than just my favorite song.)
- Figure out where are you heading in life. Nothing is worse than being less than a month away from graduating from high school and having no idea, what you want in life and what is coming up next. You do not have to figure out your whole life at the age of 15 but when you are finally 20 years old, you should know at least briefly, what is the next step. ✓ (UK – here I come! (Hopefully. It’s to early to celebrate but I am on my way.))
So those are all of my ideas for under twenty bucket list. Which of these things have you done already and which are you planning to do soon? Let me know in the comments. 🙂 Until next time on Dolls Have Hearts!
Love, Porcelain Doll.